Friday, November 23, 2007

Sebagos

As I walked in the shopping mall today, trying to change a pair of over-sized jeans, I couldn't help but notice a pair of Sebago Docksides. My gosh, an instant feeling of nostalgia as I walked back into the store that I had just exited from.

Sebagos were the epitome of 'cool kid'. Sebagos were like the cocaine of footwear.. in price that is!

It was a while before I got my first (and only) pair of Sebagos back in 95, wine red 'Classics'. I wore them for church almost every Sunday, with chocolate brown Dickies, brown check shirt and stretch Paris belt.

I was the cool kid for a while, while I could fit into a size seven shoe. I'll never forget the handmade craftsmanship, the smell of the leather, like a brand new car - the smell that never faded.

It's funny how I coveted those shoes until my dad bought me a pair one year. I saw them today and smiled. I can afford them on my own now, but if I were to buy them, I assure you, it would only be to feel like I did back in 95...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I remember my first pair of name brand shoes I managed to get out of my mother too, now I'm not talking North Stars, but for the life of me I can't remember the name of the shoes. Anyway, I kinda got a light headed feeling when my mother agreed to get them for me and they were black and shiny and I walked to try not to crease the front.

Waseem said...

I had a Crockets and Jones that I adored. I used it to school, but eventually I outgrew them. Till date, that was my favorite shoes

Unknown said...

I can't remember my first pair of name brand shoes as i was always either delayed with fashion or didn't really care but i do remember my cousin's memory of his first pair. I can almost see the elation and smile on his face. Makes me smile (",)