Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Youth - Revisited

Ok, I'm safely back in Joburg since Saturday already. I've kept on forgetting to make this post, maybe even putting it off. I started a new job yesterday and so far, so good.

Being in Durban gave me a chance to re-awaken my youth, to rejuvinate my spirit. I saw many old friends, enjoying life, living recklessly and irresponsibly; just as a 20-something year old should. I looked and compared myself to my mates and realised how I've matured, how I've lost touch with my youth. Like everyone in Joburg, work becomes an obsession, a distractintion, a neccessary evil (right now I'm at the office, typing over my new IBM T60 (hehehe)). I can't imagine going out on a Thursday night anymore, yet my friend Clyde did it - with no regrets. He played vast amounts of house music, in fact, only house music while we were in his car. He drove without a seatbelt and encouraged me to do the same, something I haven't done in ages. It felt great... as the bass pumped out of his single sub-woofer in his VW Golf 'Velo'!

House music, bass, some beers, we went to a pool hall with Karaoke! I ended-up humming to some slim Shady track I don't recall.

Oh ja, not to forget the vast amounts of slang we through around.
'Ekse bra, I'm at the pozie, kla dressed, waiting for you to pick me up. Gaai me a missed call when you almost here. Lukker'

All in all, Durban was great. I had a chance to let my hair down and realise that I'm still a kid at heart.

3 comments:

KerBear said...

Firstly congrats on the new job...U go boy!!Secondly, U really were living on the wild side for those couple of days my friend. Like we always say "We YOUNG!!"
KerBear out!!!

ZK said...

"forever young, i want to be forever young"
Sorry the song just came into my head :)
hmmm and IBM t wateva nice boy very nice :)

Waseem said...

I see you didnt include visiting my wooden cabin of an office. You're still 24 man you got another 2 years to be young at heart before people start thinking you're immature